At some point or another, almost every blog falls into the same trap – not being updated.
I get it. It can be tough coming up with ideas on a regular basis and even tougher to dedicate the time to writing a post on a regular basis. (That’s why you need me to regularly write your blog, so I’ll be too busy writing yours to write on mine.)
So, when you suddenly realize that that blog page on your website has been sitting around idly for months, here’s my top 10 list of ideas to get the creative juices flowing and get the words writing.
1. Review your greatest hits. Take a look at your popular posts from the past and bring one back to life with a fresh or updated perspective.
2. Write part II. Again, take a look through your archived posts and write an update to a problem or situation you were facing at the time of writing.
3. Write a commentary. Read other blogs, newspapers or trade publications and comment on one of the articles.
4. Share your adventures. Recently attended an industry-related event? Tell everyone about it.
5. Do a review. Review a product you love or the latest book you read.
6. Answer questions. Feel like you’re always answering the same questions day in and day out? Then compile those questions and do a Q&A. Better yet, turn this idea into a regular post, answering 2 or 3 common questions every time.
7. Talk about your mistakes. Be honest and talk about where you went wrong and what you learned from it.
8. Use Google Alerts. With Google Alerts, you can set up alerts for topics and subtopics in your niche to see what’s making news and what others are talking about. And once you know what’s going on, you can write about.
9. Ask your community. When you’re stuck for a fresh idea, lean on your network by asking your Twitter or LinkedIn community what they want to see on the blog? You’ll be surprised at how many topics your community was hoping you’d one day write about.
10. Write a top 10 list. Lists are always a hit. You read this one after all, didn’t you?